National Museum of Taiwan History
The Dutch built a fortification at the entrance of the main harbor on the Penghu Islands in 1622 after a failed attempt to take Macao from the Portuguese. Through their presence on the Penghu Islands they tried to establish trade with China but they were expelled from the islands in 1624 and both parties agreed that the Dutch would hence trade from Tainan.
Taijiang National Park Headquarters
The Dutch East India company arrived in 1624 in Tayouan (now known as Anping), Taiwan. The first Dutch Trading Post was built on Boxemboy islet just across from where Fort Zeelandia would be constructed later. The construction of Fort Zeelandia took around 10 years and was completed around 1634. It was a large fortification protecting the maritime trade route and the entrance to the bay.
Ambon City Government
Fort Nieuw Victoria was initially built by the Portuguese in 1575, and named Fortaleza Nossa Seinhora da Annunciada. It was taken by the Dutch in 1602 (or 1605) and renamed Kasteel Victoria. Severely damaged by volcanic activity in 1754, the Dutch rebuilt it and gave it the name Nieuw Victoria. The pentagonal fort, with a bastion in each of its corners, was strengthened by an encircling moat.
Ternate Heritage Society
Fort Oranje is located in the crowded center of Ternate city. As a reward for successfully driving away the Spanish from Ternate, the Sultan gave Cornelis Matelief de Jonge permission to build a fort at the location of the already destroyed Malay Fort owned by the Sultan. The first Dutch ruler in the Moluccas, Paulus Carden named it Fort Oranje.
Nagasaki City Dejima Restoration Office
Dejima, a manmade island in the harbour of Nagasaki city was originally built for the Portuguese. After the Portuguese were banned from Japan, the VOC trading post in Hirado was moved to Dejima in 1641. For roughly 250 years it served as an important trading post which was the only point of contact of Japan with the West. Many products and inventions made their way in and out of Japan through Dejima.
Tainan Cultural Association
The Dutch East India company arrived in 1624 in Tayouan (Anping), Taiwan. The first Dutch Trading Post was built on Boxemboy islet and later Fort Zeelandia was constructed on a sandbank at the entrance of the bay. Fort Provincia was built on the shore of the bay, providing better access to the inland. It was finished in 1653 and later modified during the Qing Dynasty.
Melaka World Heritage Office
The city of Melaka (or Malacca) was once an important centre of trade for the whole eastern part of Asia and the gateway to the spice islands of the Southeast Asian islands, especially the Moluccas, Banda, Ambon and Seram, and Ternate. By controlling Melaka, the VOC controlled the merchant trades along the Strait of Malacca, and controlled the spice islands of “East Indies” (Indonesia).
Indonesian Documentation Centre of Architecture
Sunda Kelapa, a town which originally was just a small port in the Bay of Jakarta, quickly developed into a large and important harbor during the 16th & 17th centuries. The VOC eventually succeeded in conquering it on May 30, 1619 and not long afterwards renamed it Batavia. Batavia soon developed into a metropolitan city which hosted people from all parts of the archipelago and abroad.
Hirado Dutch Trading Post
In 1609 the first Dutch Trading Post in Japan was built in Hirado. The city flourished as a centre of trade with the west and was known as the Japanese “Capital of the West”. Goods from all over the world were brought to Hirado and in 1639 the first full-fledged western building in Japan was constructed here. The stone warehouse has been carefully reconstructed and tells the history of Hirado and the international trade.
Galle Heritage Foundation
In 1640 AD, the fort of Galle was captured by the Dutch forces led by Willem Jacob Coster (who came from Akersloot village in the Kingdom of the Netherlands), after a fierce battle with the Portuguese. The Dutch army was supported by soldiers of the Sinhala king (called Laskiringngna). It is stated that the short rampart built by the Portuguese had been almost totally destroyed in this battle.